Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It's Hard to Be the Art


I like this quote, and I don't like it.

You see, I feel like I'm the middle of when the artist is working His hardest on a certain part of the picture. I would imagine that any artist, at this point in their work, would not be overly talkative, would not necessarily be discussing their work with others. He would be focused, working at the vision of what He wants the finished work to be.

He already knows what the picture will look like. It's probably been in His head for a while. But now is the right time to mold this particular part into what it's going to be. The will be becomes the now.

The problem with this is if the piece of art starts questioning the artist. I can't see the finished product, all I know is that what the Artist is doing now is weird, kind of uncomfortable, and I'm not entirely sure it's going to turn out right. I feel like it will look funny when He's done. I'm not entirely sure He knows how to do it, because I have my own picture in my head of what this particular portion should look like. And I think He might be doing it wrong.

But He says He isn't. And there comes a point where the art has to stop trying to convince the Artist that He's doing it wrong, and just let Him work. After all, He's the one with the final picture.

O Lord, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
Psalms 139:1-6


No comments:

Post a Comment